Utility Watchdog in San Diego
  • Skyline Cropped
    Support UCAN today - Become a member!


If you meet the following low-income guidelines, you can qualify for a free home energy audit with free upgrades to your home! Available to anyone who lives in an apartment, home or mobile home, whether you are a renter or the owner.

Upgrades may include: 

  • Weather-stripping
  • Caulking
  • Compact fluorescent bulbs
  • Low-flow shower heads
  • Furnace repairs and replacement
  • Water heater blankets
  • Attic insulation
  • Replacement of qualifying appliance (appliances must meet age requirements to qualify for replacement.)

Qualification Guidelines

Number of People
per household
Previous Income
 1 or 2 $34,040
 3 $40,320






7 $73,460
8 $81,320
Each additional member


 Effective June 1, 2016-May 31, 2017

For more information or how to qualify, click here


SDGE (San Diego Gas & Electric) logoIf you meet certain eligibility guidelines, you may receive a 20% discount on your SDG&E bill. To qualify for the California Alternate Rates for Energy program (CARE), the "total combined annual income" for your household is determined by all money and non-cash benefits available for living expenses from all sources, both taxable and non-taxable, before deductions for all people who live in your home. The SDG&E bill the residence must be in the name of the person filling out the application, and the application must be renewed upon request.

Number of persons in household Maximum Combined Annual Income
1-2 $32,040
3 $40,320
4 $48,600
5 $56,880
6 $65,160
7 $73,460
8 $81,780
Each additional person: +$8,320
Effective June 1, 2016 - May 31, 2017

If you apply for the CARE Program, please be advised that SDG&E has the right to verify your income with payroll stubs and tax forms. In addition, income information may be shared with your other energy utility, if applicable. Call SDG&E at (800) 411-7343 to ask for a CARE application and be sure to send your application to SDG&E via certified mail.

If you qualify, click here for the application that you can print and mail in.

If you qualify for CARE, then you also qualify for having a free energy audit for your residence with free energy conservation upgrades! If you are a senior who is 60 years old or older are, you can earn more than the CARE guidelines and still qualify for the free home energy audit. Click here for more information about The Energy Team.

To apply, contact your utility company directly:

PG&E: 1-866-PGE-CARE (1-866-743-2273)
SDG&E: 1-800-411-SDGE (7343)
Edison: 1-800-447-6620
SoCalGas: 1-800-427-2200


landing page

If you have a roof or side-yard with Southern exposure and are interested in providing your own power on-site, this is the section for you. The California Center for Sustainable Energy of SANDAG has additional information and is a source of assistance for local consumers interested in installing solar panel systems. For additional information on solar panel systems including system sizing, see the Dept. of Energy's resources, here. For more information about the Calif. Energy Commission's Emerging Renewables Program, click here.

About UCAN

UCAN has represented the interests of San Diego County utility customers since 1983. UCAN focuses its efforts on the rates and services of San Diego Gas and Electric Company, telecommunications utilities and the City of San Diego Water Department.