Utility Watchdog in San Diego
  • Skyline Cropped
    Support UCAN today - Become a member!


Better Business Bureau
5050 Murphy Canyon Road, Suite 110
San Diego, CA 92123
858/496-2131 24-hr. helpline
The BBB records consumer complaints about specific businesses and charities in your community and provides records of these complaints. The local BBB will help consumers with disputes.

926 J Street, Suite 523
Sacramento, CA 95814-2707
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Nonprofit consumer protection group that registers complaints about privacy rights violations, environmental issues, unsafe toys, excessive bank charges, and "lemon" car dealers.

Consumer Action
717 Market Street, Suite 310
San Francisco, CA 94103
415/777-9635 complaint hotline
213/642-8327 complaint hotline
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Nonprofit consumer education and advocacy organization that registers consumer complaints, offers non-legal advice, and publishes multilingual fact sheets (Chinese, English, Korean, Russian, Spanish and Vietnamese) on consumer issues such as: telephone, banking and credit services, childhood lead poisoning, and workplace safety.

Federal and State Government

Many government agencies provide consumer complaint services. Look in the Business White Pages of the telephone book under "Consumer Complaint and Protection Coordinators." The phone numbers of many state, local, and federal agencies are also listed in the Government section of the White Pages.

California Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA)
400 R Street, Suite 1040
Sacramento, CA 95814
800/952-5210 consumer information
800/344-9940 TDD
916/323-7239 publications ordering
Index of state and federal laws by product
Consumer complaint form
State's largest consumer protection agency licenses and regulates several million employees in more than 200 occupations. Many of the agencies in the Got A Gripe? guide are part of the DCA. A complaint form is preferred but not required, and can be ordered by calling the 800 number or sending a self-addressed envelope to: Complaint Form, P.O. Box 310, Sacramento, CA 95802. Call the DCA's consumer infoline to identify which agency to send it to.

Federal Communications Commission (FCC)
445 12th Street
Washington, DC 20554
888/225-5322 National Call Center
888/835-5322 TTY
Filing a complaint
Online consumer complaint form for telephone-related issues
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The FCC implements policy concerning interstate communications by radio, television, wire, satellite, and cable.

Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
Consumer Response Center
10877 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 700
Los Angeles, CA 90024
877/382-4357 toll free- to file a complaint
310/824-4343 Western Region
202/326-2100 Washington, DC
Online consumer complaint form
email for consumer response center: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
email with "spam" complaints: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Regulates a multitude of business practices and administers consumer protection laws. Areas of jurisdiction include: false advertising (including the internet), deceptive labeling, debt collectors, warranties of nationally distributed products, state-chartered banks and credit unions, credit card companies, credit reporting agencies, and mail order companies. The FTC does not handle individual complaints, but if it gets enough accusations about a particular company or practice, it will investigate. Write, call, or use the FTC's website to receive a complaint form.

U.S. General Services Administration
Consumer Information Center
Pueblo, CO 81009
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Offers information and publications on consumer topics from cars, children, and employment, to housing and health issues. Also includes contact information for government agencies and corporate entities.

California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC)
Consumer Affairs Branch
320 West 4th Street, Suite 500
Los Angeles, CA 90013
213/897-0426 TDD
CPUC complaint form letter
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The CPUC has an extensive system for resolving complaints with telecommunications, electricity, gas, water, and sewer utilities operating within the State of California. The initial step is to write the CPUC, including copies of any documentation you may have. The CPUC will send you a letter listing the options for resolving your complaint, and will then contact the utility for its side of the issue. The CPUC will then render an informal decision.



Local Government

San Diego County District Attorney's Office
Consumer Protection
P.O. Box X-1011
San Diego, CA 92112-4192
619/531-3507 24-hr. message
Prosecutes investment, insurance, and real estate fraud, false advertising, and telephone scams within San Diego County but outside of the City of San Diego. Also takes consumer reports of illegal or hazardous pollution of air, land, and water and prosecutes complaints that are within the jurisdiction of the County’s DA office. Otherwise, the office will refer complaints to the appropriate agency.

San Diego City Attorney
Consumer and Environmental Protection Unit
1200 Third Avenue, Suite 700
San Diego, CA 92101-4106
619/533-5500 helpline
Website: www.sandiego.gov/cityattorney/divisions/communityjustice/cepu.shtml
Investigates and prosecutes crimes committed in the City of San Diego involving public health, consumer transactions such as misleading advertising, environmental pollution, and other unlawful business acts and practices.

City of San Diego
Multimedia Services Department
Cable Television Office
1200 3rd Avenue, Suite 250
San Diego, CA 92101
Acts as an arbitrator between you and your cable company if you live within the City of San Diego. Staff can help you resolve complaints about poor service, reception, service procedures and inability to obtain service. If you live in another city in the San Diego area, contact your City Manager’s Office or your City Council representative.


For SDG&E customers the Center for Sustainable Energy (CSE) is the program administrator for the California Solar Initiative. All the paperwork for your rebate goes through the CSE. They also offer a number of workshops and seminars for homeowners and installers. There are other programs, including a solar water heater program, that are managed through their offices. Check out their website at https://energycenter.org

About UCAN

UCAN has represented the interests of San Diego County utility customers since 1983. UCAN focuses its efforts on the rates and services of San Diego Gas and Electric Company, telecommunications utilities and the City of San Diego Water Department.